Over the past year, producers who use RCTV to produce their talk shows have been delighted with the many upgrades that have taken place. Lights, cameras, head sets, the Aja box and some of the mics have all been replaced, which means shows look and sound better than ever.
If you, like many producers, would like to customize the look of your show, but you don’t have a big budget to work with, what’s a producer to do? It’s a challenge, but it’s not impossible.
There are really two ways to approach this:
- Decide what look and feel you want for your show, then look for decor items that fit your theme.
- Find a couple of pieces you want to use in your show, then build the set around it.
The second approach offers a bit more flexibility, but both can work.
Here are some ways to customize the look of your program:
- Check out yard sales, the Salvation Army, the local Craigslist, church rummage sales and similar places for inexpensive furniture and/or decor items.
- Ask relatives if they have items they’re not using that you can borrow for your set.
- Have a sign or banner created to mount to a table.
- Cover furniture (chairs and table) with fabric.
- Make a trip to the Childcare Council’s Recycle Shop.
The recycle shop is an amazing resource for producers! Many items cost $.20 (yes, you read that correctly. Twenty cents), or you can fill a shopping bag for $5. On a recent trip to the Recycle Shop, we found everything from brand new coffee mugs (great for thirsty guests) to styrofoam that could be glued together to form a fun and funky chair or a contemporary backdrop.
Just as in producing a show, all you need is an idea and a little imagination to make your set your own!
If you’ve customized your set, please send us a photo and a note how you created your set and we’ll feature it in a post.
P.S. Just a reminder that set pieces cannot be left at RCTV, so be sure your pieces or decor are transportable.