As ipads and iphones have become more powerful, filmmakers are discovering that they’re an interesting alternative for filmmaking. You probably heard about the recent episode of Modern Family that was shot almost entirely on iphone and ipad. If you’d like to give this trendy activity a shot, check out the list below of eight super, low- or no-cost apps you can use for filmmaking. All are under $9.99. These cover everything from scriptwriting and editing, to stop-action and music creation. All of the apps listed were given four or more stars by reviewers. Please note that some offer additional in-app purchases that expand the power or flexibility of the apps.
- CeltX Script ($4.99, for iphone and ipad) – For scriptwriting. This is the #1 script writing app in the itunes app store. With CeltX Script you can write formatted scripts, collaborate with others, and get free backups of your writing. The program features multiple formats. Purchase once and use on both your iPhone and iPad.”
- Filmic Pro ($7.99, for iphone and ipad) – Converts an iphone or ipad video into broadcast quality output. Listed as the best video camera app of 2011 and 2012, Filmic Pro “offers full manual control, motion FX and the world class image processing including temperature, tint, exposure, ISO, Shutter Speed, Focus, Pulling Focus, Unique Hybrid Shooting Modes” and more.
- Garage Band ($4.99 for iphone, ipad and ipod touch) – Turn your device into a recording studio. This app allows you to record and add voiceovers or add music to your video, using a variety of instruments.
- iMovie ($4.99, for iphone or ipad) – On-device video editing. Add intro, outro and edit on your device with imovie. Comes with select themes, and offers easy watching and sharing.
- SuperSlo ($.99, for iphone and ipad) – Slow motion video app for iphone and ipad. With this app, you can record video, export it and convert it to slow motion video.
- Stop Motion Studio ($Free, for iphone and ipad, with in-app upgrades) – Stop Motion Movie Making. Use your iphone or ipad to create slow motion animations.
- Teleprompter Pro Lite ($Free, for ipad, with in-app upgrades) – Use your ipad as a teleprompter. Convert your ipad into a teleprompter where you can add multiple scripts, customize the font and text size and alter the scroll speed. (Thanks to Ken Rhodes of Str82VDO for this recommendation!)
- Timelapse Camera HD ($.99, for iphone and ipad) – Time lapse video for iphone or ipad. Time Lapse Camera HD captures images to create timelapse videos instantly on your device, using fully-automatic 16:9 HD timelapse recording. Set the timing or number of frames.
If you have other low- or no-fee apps that you recommend for making movies, won’t you please send us a note, and we’ll share them and link to your website or facebook page? Thanks… and enjoy!