If you’re a new filmmaker, you probably feel as if there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of areas of knowledge about which you need to learn more. Don’t despair! There are many ways to learn the things you don’t know – from seasoned filmmakers, from reading books, from volunteering on sets, from joining groups and, yes, from the internet. Below are eight interesting articles that can give you insight into and provide solutions to some of the challenges filmmakers face.
- New Innovators in Distribution: Talking Trends and Hybrid Models at IFP Film Week – Once upon a time, a theatrical release was the only way to go. This group of filmmakers talks about some of the hybrid models and best practices of distribution.
- What Filmmakers Need to Know About Indie Film Distribution in 2016 – Yes, another article on independent film distribution because, in 2016, you can’t know too much about this mysterious and ever-changing issue.
- It’s Not Always About the Money – Your family thinks your crazy, your friends don’t understand, and your bank account is moaning in despair but somehow, you’ve just got to make this film. You’re not alone. Most filmmakers push through a point in their career where the money isn’t there, but the film must be done.
- Low-Budget Filmmaker’s Equipment List – You have the idea, you have the script, you have the motivation, but where do you get started with equipment?
- 12 Steps to Avoid Going Broke Applying to Film Festivals – You know that to get a distribution deal for your film, you need to be in film festivals. But how do you enter enough to be considered a contender without going broke? This article by Filmmaker Magazine offers great tips.
- Film Festivals 101: The Essentials to Film Festival Success – So you’re starting to submit your film to festivals, but there are thousands out there. How do you select the ones that might be the most advantageous? This article from Script Magazine gives some useful pointers.
- Expert Tips for First-Time Documentary Filmmakers (Like Myself) – Lots of great advice – both practical and inspirational – for the neophyte documentary filmmaker thinking of taking on making a film.
- Kicking Ass & Taking Donations: 9 Tips on Funding Your Kickstarter Project – As the title suggests, this article gives a no-holds-barred look at crowdfunding.